Carbonite offers both Personal and Professional backup solutions, each with three pricing plans:
Carbonite Personal Cloud Backup Plan Pricing
- Basic Plan: $83.99 per year (currently on sale for $58.99 per year)
- Plus Plan: $119.99 per year (currently on sale for $83.99 per year)
- Prime Plan: $149.99 per year (currently on sale for $104.99 per year)
Carbonite Basic Plan
The Carbonite Basic plan is the entry-level offering for individual users who primarily want to back up their personal computers. The Carbonite Basic plan is $83.99 per year.
Here are the features you could expect from the Carbonite Basic plan:
- Automatic Backups: Carbonite Basic would automatically back up your files as you create and edit them. This means that you don’t have to remember to manually back up your data.
- Encryption: Carbonite Basic would provide strong security measures to protect your data. Files are encrypted before they leave your computer for backup and remain encrypted while they’re stored in the Carbonite data centers.
- Easy Restoration: In the event of a computer failure or accidental file deletion, Carbonite Basic allowed users to easily restore their data.
- Customer Support: Carbonite Basic included access to Carbonite’s customer support team.
Carbonite Plus Plan
Carbonite Plus is $119.99 per year and includes all the features of the Basic plan, and added several more features.
Here’s what you can expect from the Carbonite Plus plan:
- External Hard Drive Backup: In addition to backing up your computer’s internal hard drive, the Plus plan could also back up data on an external hard drive. This is a useful feature if you keep a lot of your data on external storage.
- Automatic Video Backup: The Plus plan included automatic video backup, so your videos were backed up just like your other files.
- Courier Recovery Service: In case of a data loss event where internet-based recovery might be too slow or impossible (such as a total system loss), Carbonite would physically ship a copy of your backup to you.
- Mirror Image Backup: This feature created a full-system backup to a local storage device, providing another layer of protection in case of a disaster.
Carbonite Prime Plan
Carbonite Prime is the highest tier of personal backup plans offered by Carbonite. The Prime plan included all features of the lower tiers, such as the Basic and Plus plans, and added even more benefits for $149.99 per year.
Here’s what you can expect from the Carbonite Prime plan:
- Automatic Backups: Like the other plans, Carbonite Prime offered automatic backup of your files as you create and edit them.
- External Hard Drive Backup: Prime allowed you to back up data not only on your computer’s internal hard drive but also on an external hard drive.
- Automatic Video Backup: Prime also included automatic backup for your video files.
- Courier Recovery Service: Prime had a feature where, in the case of a data loss event, Carbonite would physically ship a copy of your backup to you.
- Mirror Image Backup: This feature created a full-system backup to a local storage device, offering an additional layer of protection.
- Premium Customer Support: With Prime, you would get the highest level of customer support, including faster response times and priority access to Carbonite’s support team.
Carbonite Professional Cloud Backup Plan Pricing
- Core Plan: $287.99 per year
- Power Plan: $799.99 per year (currently on sale for $599.99 per year)
- Ultimate Plan: $1,299.99 per year (currently on sale for $999.99 per year)
Carbonite Core Plan
Carbonite offers a range of backup solutions designed for businesses, including the entry-level Carbonite Core plan.
The Carbonite Core plan costs $287.99 per year and is designed for small to medium-sized businesses. It includes the following features:
- Automatic Backups: The Core plan was designed to automatically back up files stored on your business’s computers and servers. This means that your business data is continually protected without the need for manual backups.
- Protection for an Unlimited Number of Computers: Unlike some of the personal plans, the Core plan allowed for backing up data on an unlimited number of computers.
- 128-Bit Encryption: Carbonite Core included strong encryption to help keep your business data secure. Files were encrypted before they left your computer and remained encrypted while stored in Carbonite’s data centers.
- Customer Support: Carbonite’s business plans typically included robust customer support to help resolve any issues that may arise.
- HIPAA Compliance: For businesses in the healthcare sector or those handling health information, the Core plan offered a level of data protection that was compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Carbonite Power Plan
The Carbonite Power plan is a part of Carbonite’s suite of business-oriented backup solutions. It is $799.99 per year and is designed to cater to the needs of small to medium-sized businesses, It is built upon the features of the Core plan with several additional offerings including:
- Unlimited Computer Backups: Like the Core plan, Power plan provided backup for an unlimited number of computers.
- Automatic and Continuous Backup: The Power plan offered automatic and continuous backup of your data, which means new and modified files were backed up in real-time as long as there’s an active internet connection.
- External Hard Drive Backup: The Power plan allowed for backups not only on your computer’s internal hard drive but also on an external hard drive.
- Server Backup: In addition to computer backups, the Power plan offered backup solutions for physical and virtual servers, which was not included in the Core plan.
- 128-bit Blowfish Encryption: Carbonite Power provided robust data encryption both during data transmission and while data is stored in Carbonite’s cloud.
- Customer Support: The Power plan also provided access to Carbonite’s customer support for troubleshooting and assistance.
Carbonite Ultimate Plan
The Carbonite Ultimate plan is the top-tier business solution offered by Carbonite. It is designed to provide comprehensive data protection for small to medium-sized businesses and costs $1,299.99 per year. The Ultimate plan builds on the features of the Core and Power plans with additional offerings.
Here are the features you can expect from the Carbonite Ultimate plan:
- Unlimited Computer Backups: Like the other business plans, the Ultimate plan offered backup for an unlimited number of computers.
- Automatic and Continuous Backup: The Ultimate plan also provided automatic and continuous backup of your data, backing up new and modified files in real-time as long as there’s an active internet connection.
- External Hard Drive and NAS Device Backup: Alongside computer backups, the Ultimate plan allowed for backups on external hard drives and Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices.
- Physical and Virtual Server Backup: This plan extended support to cover both physical and virtual servers, ensuring comprehensive protection of your business data.
- Image and Bare Metal Recovery: The Ultimate plan included the ability to create a mirror image of your entire system, which could be used for a full-system restore. Bare Metal Recovery allowed for recovery of a complete system to new, bare-metal (i.e., freshly installed) hardware in case of catastrophic failure.
- Support for Databases and Live Applications: This plan included support for backing up live databases and applications, a feature critical for businesses that rely on database management systems and custom applications.
- 128-bit Blowfish Encryption: Like other business plans, Carbonite Ultimate offered strong data encryption during data transmission and while data is stored in Carbonite’s cloud.
- Customer Support: The Ultimate plan provided access to Carbonite’s customer support for troubleshooting and assistance.
What is Carbonite?
The service is known for its automatic and continuous backup features, meaning that it runs in the background on your computer, backing up new and changed files whenever your computer is connected to the Internet. It also offers versioning capabilities, which means it can keep multiple versions of your files to safeguard against accidental changes or deletions.
One of Carbonite’s selling points is its security measures. Data backed up through Carbonite is encrypted before it leaves your computer and remains encrypted during transit and while at rest in Carbonite’s data centers. In the event of a computer failure or data loss incident, you can restore your files from Carbonite’s servers.
Is Carbonite Safe to Use?
Yes, Carbonite is considered safe and reliable to use. The service employed several robust security measures to protect user data:
- Encryption: Carbonite used strong encryption standards to protect your files. Data was encrypted before it left your computer, while in transit, and while stored at Carbonite’s data centers.
- Secure Data Centers: Carbonite’s data centers were designed to be secure and resilient. They included physical security measures, redundant power supplies, and disaster protection systems.
- Compliance: Carbonite complied with a number of data protection standards and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), among others.