Nowadays, children are exposed to content that could be harmful to them. The internet is flooded with adult content, and with a single stray click, young children could find themselves seeing things they should not. That is where parental control software comes in handy. Keep reading if you are ready to learn about parental control software!
What is Parental Control Software?
Parental control is software designed to allow parents to control what content their children can see on their devices. You will usually download the app onto your computer or phone, set a password/pin, and then choose the websites you do not want your children to access. This allows you to create a blacklist of websites to keep your children safe.
What Does Parental Control Software Do?
Parental control software comes with many useful tools and benefits parents can use to protect their children from the internet. You set up all the different parental controls when you first download the app, and then the software will ensure your child cannot access anything online you do not want them to see.
Some of the best parental control software benefits are:
- Content Filter: All parental control software comes with the ability to filter the content your child sees. You can create a list of websites they are allowed access to and are not allowed access to.
- Time-Limits: If your child spends too much time online, you may find the time-limit aspect of parental control software very handy. This allows you to set time limits for different apps and even for device usage in general.
- Location Tracking: The world is an unsafe place nowadays, and thus having a location tracker on your child’s device can give some peace of mind. That is why many parental-control software allows you to see where your child is.
- Call-blocking: Does your child keep receiving unsavory calls or texts from certain numbers? Well, parental control software can help you out here. Most parental control software can block certain numbers, keeping your child safe from predators on the internet.
- Browsing History: While computers automatically store browsing history, it is easy to get around it and delete your search history. This is why parental control apps log your child’s browser history. You can then check to see what your child has been looking at to ensure they stay off any unsavory websites.
How Does Parental Control Software Work?
Parental control software works by monitoring your child’s device. It typically uses basic yes or no questions to figure out if a website or something else is allowed to be accessed. If the answer is no, it will prevent the child from seeing it. This can also be used on things like blocking calls, preventing certain images from being shown, and more.
Since parental control software is not magic, it requires you to stay on top of it. You need to take just as active a role in your child’s online activity as the software. While the software will help keep your child off unsavory sites, if you are not keeping up to date with your child, your child may still find ways to access things they should not.
What Devices Do Parental Control Software Work On?
Parental control software can work on many devices in a child’s day-to-day life, such as tablets, smartphones, and PCs. You can not usually place parental control software on devices such as Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and other hardware. So if your child normally uses these devices, you will want to look into something else.
Once the software has been installed on your child’s device, it can be used on many different types of software on your child’s device. The most commonly controlled features by parental control software are search engines such as Google, video platforms like YouTube, and video games.
How To Find Parental Control Software
There are thousands of apps available to parents nowadays looking to protect their children from the dangers of the internet. With so many choices, it can be difficult to decide which ones exactly one should get. The easiest way to find out which software will be best for your needs is to do a quick Google search.
However, here are some great parental control apps to check out to save you time searching.
- Norton Family
- McAfee Safe Family
- Net Nanny